These are the most often asked questions by the WolfSound audience. Over the course of time, this list is expected to grow longer and the answers will get updated according to your or my best knowledge.
If you have any questions or remarks, please, word them in the comments section at the bottom.
To help you find just what you need, I have included links to the particular sections below.
Table of Contents
Questions about Jan Wilczek and WolfSound.
Who are you?
Why are you eligible to teach audio programming?
- I have graduated with distinction from Acoustic Engineering at AGH University of Science and Technology with the title of a Bachelor of Engineering.
- I then went on to obtain (also with distinction) the Master of Science in Advanced Signal Processing & Communications Engineering at Friedrich-Alexander-Universität in Erlangen-Nürnberg.
- I have also completed two years of Computer Science B. Eng. at the AGH UST.
- During my Bachelor studies I have worked for 1.5 years as an audio C++ developer at Techmo sp. z o. o. where I was developing Soundtoolkit, a sound spatialization engine for computer games.
- I also worked for 6 months in the "Audio Processing Using Distributed Acoustic Sensors" grant at the AGH UST, where I investigated the application of Nonnegative Tensor Factorization to the multichannel speech separation problem.
- At FAU in Germany, I worked for 6 months as a tutor of the Statistical Signal Processing laboratory.
- For my Master Thesis, I visited the Acoustics Lab of the Aalto University in Espoo, Finland. I worked there under Alec Wright, Vesa Välimäki, and my supervisor and mentor Emanuël Habets on a thesis entitled "Virtual Analog Modeling of Audio Effects via Neural Ordinary Differential Equations". We then extended the results of the thesis and published them on the Digital Audio FX (DAFX) 2022 conference in Vienna, Austria.
- Since December 2021, I have been working at Loudly GmbH based in Berlin, where I am the audio developer of the Music Maker JAM looping app for Windows, Android, and iOS.
- Since October 2019, I have been running the WolfSound blog and the YouTube channel deepening my knowledge and understanding of audio programming.
- I also read numerous books and articles on audio processing in my free time.
Do you offer 1-on-1 coaching?
Are you available for consulting?
ASC at FAU Questions
Questions about Elite Master's Programme Advanced Signal Processing & Communications Engineering at Friedrich-Alexander-Universität in Erlangen-Nürnberg.
What is ASC?
Do I have a chance to get accepted to ASC?
What kind of questions are you asked in the interview? Are they difficult? How to prepare? Do you have any tips?
Be prepared to be asked about
- Linear algebra (determinants, eigenvalues),
- Modulation types,
- Probability and Stochastic Processes (time average, ensemble average),
- Digital Signal Processing, and
- Your personal motivation to join ASC.
- You have the necessary basics for the program. Even if you are not fluent in all of the areas listed above, it is relatively easy to revise the key concepts and prepare. That's what I did because I lacked some fundamental knowledge in Random Processes and Telecommunications.
- You are dedicated to actually complete the degree, i.e., you are strongly motivated. For me the reason was to become an expert in the audio industry, for others it's the desire to obtain a PhD.
- What is sampling, sampling rate, and quantization?
- What is aliasing, what causes it, and how to avoid it?
You are also encouraged to ask the interviewing professor about the program, so be prepared to ask your own questions.
Could you tell me more about the student jobs mentioned on the ASC website? How much do they pay, what are the responsibilities, etc.?
How to get a student job?
Do I need to know any programming languages before starting ASC?
I did the interview for the ASC. What now?
I had an interview and got accepted but now I was asked to hand in a formal application. What does it mean?
I got accepted. Do you have any tips for learning or for the exams?
Can you get me a place in ASC?
Audio Programming Questions
Questions about learning audio programming.
I want to learn audio programming. Where do I start?
How to code audio plugins for digital audio workstations?
Do I need a university degree to build audio plugins?
What university environment gives you are the necessary basics to get started, knowledgeable people to ask for help, and fascinating human beings around you that can inspire you to do great things. The bits and pieces of knowledge from the university have helped me on numerous occasions.
If you haven't studied audio programming or anything related, then you must seek your knowledge somewhere else. At WolfSound, I try to fill this gap in the internet resources concerning the common ground between Computer Science, Digital Signal Processing, and Music. All the resources that I personally find useful can be found on the resources page.